It is said that in the valley there was a herd of a Prat de Comte's shepherd, which was a day not far from the fountain, and saw an image of which nobody knew and that it was probably hidden from the Spanish persecution. Tradition says that the shepherd boy had received a sign from heaven with this appearance, then takes the image to Prat de Comte to tell to everyone the news, but at the time of removing it from the bag the image had already disappeared. The shepherd, guided by the light of heaven returns to the place of occurrence and there again found the Virgin Mary. Soon came the news in Gandesa and went to take the Virgin Mary to the church. One day later the people went to see the image, but then again the Virgin was already gone and found again at the original place. Gandesa then raised a small chapel and later a church.
The area of the Fontcalda spa is located in the southern part of the Catalan Pre-mountain range, between the "Serra de Pàndols", northeast, and the massif of the "Ports de Beseit", to the southwest. The location is part of the geographic unit formed by the "Serra de Cavalls i Pàndols". These mountains, in turn, constitute an extension in the northeast of the Ports, which form the organic unity of a remarkable organization and complexity.
The environment of Fontcalda, is unique for its outstanding geological and geomorphic values, with quite spectacular outcrops (foldings, ... anticline) and very special shapes (ridges, ...).
From a geological point of view the combination of reliefs and abrupt foldings is spectacular, resulting from the deformations during the Alpine orogeny. Its geological importance is so, that it has been included in the inventory and catalog of the geozones of Catalonia, specifically, the whole area of Fontcalda is included within the Geozone 315, Prat de Comte-Fontcalda. According to the inventory, "this contains an anticline off the Keuper materials affecting the Mesozoic material".
The geomorphologic interest is located in the deep gorge created by Canaletas River, which traverses across the geological structures in the area. Since the spa Fontcalda can be accessed on foot using the "path on the top" or the "path on te bottom". These paths have narrow and steep walls.
The shrine is documented from the XIVth Century, when a group of "Trinitari" monks started there a conventual community which did not prosper due to the isolation of the place.
The present church is the third that has existed, it was built on 1753 due to the initiative of the priest Antonio Soler. It is neoclassical, with a single nave with a barrel vault, and a dome. Two side chapels to hand over the heart and being open to the nave and chapels, octagonal plant.
The paintings of the altar are the work of Joseph Lahosa
In 1936, during the Civil War, the sanctuary was burned and destroyed including the Baroque altar and the old image of the Virgin. Nowadays there is a copy of the original made from alabaster, made by the sculptor Innocensi Serrano Montagut.
Schedule of Masses
The months of July and August is celebrated Mass at 6 pm.